Suicide Case Turned Murder

Police start fresh probe into controversial suicide case


By Jamil Khan | KARACHI


OFFICIALS of the Defence Police Station have commenced a fresh investigation into the alleged suicide case of a 20-year-old man named Hakim who was found dead from a bungalow in Defence Housing Authority (DHA) Phase I. The owner of the house Arif Rahseed is an entrepreneur in the marble business.

Hakim, son of Rahim, hailed from Umerkot and came to Karachi in search of employment. He found employment at Bungalow C-16, Street 5, Phase I, DHA and had been working there for the past one month. On early Tuesday morning, Hakim was found dangling from a tree in the courtyard.

The Defence Police Station ISO Iqbal Chandio said that in the beginning it seemed like a typical suicide case but added that after the lodging of a fresh case by Hakim’s uncle, Imam Bux, police was now looking at the case from a different angle. According to Bux, Hakim was the eldest of five siblings and had come to Karachi for employment. Hakim was supposed to get married next month and preparations were in full swing.

“On Monday night, Hakim called me and said that his employer had been fighting with him for no reason and he wanted to quit right away. However, I asked him not to and that I would come the next morning to resolve the issue,” Bux said.

When Bux arrived at the bungalow the next morning, an old woman opened the door and inside Bux saw Hakim hanging by his neck from a tree branch in the courtyard. The owner of the house tried to convince Bux that Hakim had committed suicide. Bux said that in the meantime the police arrived at the scene and shifted Hakim’s body to the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for postmortem. He said that the police interrogated the owner and his family in an attempt to uncover the cause behind his suicide.

Bux alleged that there are various inconsistencies in the statements given by Rasheed and his family members. He said that the branch from which Hakim’s body was dangling was extremely thin and could not have possibly held Hakim’s weight. “I think someone first killed him and then hung him by the tree branch to make it appear as a suicide,” he alleged.

He further stated that statements given by family members were inconsistent. “Some said Hakim went to bed at around 11:30 pm, while some say he served tea at around 12:30 am and then went to the servant quarter,” said Bux.

He added that it would soon be clear that Hakim did not kill himself and, in fact, was murdered.

Published in Daily Times | Jan 15, 2009

~ by jamilkhan on January 15, 2009.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: